[Nouveau] Cannot compile nouveau.o in drm with kernel 2.6.26

Garnet MacPhee garnet at signalpeak.net
Sat Jul 19 06:55:34 PDT 2008

OK, I found the problem.

Running 'make clean' after compiling 2.6.26 will remove /usr/src/linux-2.6.26/include/linux/bounds.h. This is a change in
behavior from 2.6.25 and earlier kernels.

I have always run 'make clean' (NOT make mrproper) after compiling a kernel, more out of habit than anything else, I guess. It
never caused a problem before.

I am now happily running nouveau on kernel 2.6.26. Sorry about making noise on the list, but hopefully this will save somebody
some time and hassle. I don't know what the long term solution should be, whether 'make clean' should be changed back to its
previous behavior, whether drivers should stop referencing bounds.h, or whether people just have to change their behavior and
not run 'make clean' after compiling.