[Nouveau] Any Documentation Work Needed?

Renato Caldas seventhguardian at gmail.com
Sun Jun 22 08:41:51 PDT 2008

On Sun, Jun 22, 2008 at 4:19 PM, Adam Cozzette
<adam_cozzette at sbcglobal.net> wrote:
> Renato Caldas wrote:
>>
>> On Sat, Jun 21, 2008 at 6:49 PM, Adam Cozzette
>> <adam_cozzette at sbcglobal.net> wrote:
>>>
>>> Hello,
>>
>> Hello,
>>
>>> I don't have much experience but I'm looking for a way to contribute to
>>> Nouveau. I'd be glad to work on documentation, edit IRC logs, make
>>> cosmetic changes to code, etc. Just let me know if you have any work of
>>> this sort and I'll give it a shot.
>>
>> I've tried to start documenting the driver some time ago, in order to
>> start contributing with actual code. It is a daunting task, requiring
>> a lot of dedication I couldn't provide at the time. The current trend
>> is that developers write code and not documentation, which is good and
>> bad at the same time.
>
> What kind of documentation is needed? I'm not too familiar with the project
> yet, but maybe there are some areas where I could help. I could probably
> write docs for users but if it's documentation for developers I might not
> have enough knowledge.

I was talking about developer documentation. You probably should
follow Pekka's advice for now, and get to know things before you get
into more complicated work.

>> (Pekka's answer just arrived)
>>
>> I don't know your programming skills, but you should probably follow
>> Pekka's advice for now. If you ever feel like it, you may try my
>> suggestion, but keep in mind that it requires dedication.
>
> I don't have very much programming experience yet, probably because I have a
> habit of starting projects and not finishing them. Last time I tried to port
> a wireless card driver from Linux to Plan 9. I think I got as far as
> initializing the card and loading a firmware image into it. So anyway, I
> have at least a vague familiarity with PCI and kernel code. I might not have
> the dedication you said is necessary, but I'd be willing to see what kind of
> work is required.

Basically it would be looking at the code and trying to understand how
it all works together..

Oh, and by the way, always reply to the list ;)