[Nouveau] Tested nouveau on a Quadro NVS 140M

Sébastien Mazy melyadon at gmail.com
Thu Sep 4 08:36:16 PDT 2008

Hi,

I've just tried nouveau for the first time and I'd like to thank you
all for your hard work. It works well, and I'm especially impressed to
see xv running on my card (NV50 generation). Here is a brief report of
my test.

Details:
- Card is Quadro NVS 140M
- nouveau-drm and xf86-video-nouveau are from today's git
- linux 2.6.26.3 from archlinux
- X.Org X Server 1.4.99.906 (1.5.0 RC 6) from archlinux (testing repo)
- minimalist xorg.conf attached
- Xorg log attached

What works:
- auto-detection of my LVDS screen resolution (1680x1050)
- 2d seems fast, scrolling in firefox isn't laggy
- xv works \o/ unlike with nv
- xcompmgr

What doesn't:
- "Overbold", hardly readable nautilus window title sometime
- The character 'j' vanishes sometime in gajim (and maybe in other sometimes)
- The character '3' looks weird sometime in gajim (and maybe in other
softwares). See capture attached. This problem does not appear at the
same moment as the 'j' problem.
- gnome screenshot utility freezes when saving screenshots (doesn't
affect gimp). See capture attached (not very useful, though).
- black square in firefox instead of an image. See capture attached
(unlike in other captures, the black square was displayed on the
screen, I did not add it). Launching xcompmgr made the image display
as it should (but I don't know if it's related).
- I've lots of "[drm] PGRAPH_ERROR - nSource: PROTECTION_ERROR, nStatus:
[drm] PGRAPH_ERROR - Ch 2/0 Class 0x502d Mthd 0x08dc Data
0x00000000:0x00000000" in dmesg

Please tell me if you want me to perform new tests or give more debug info.

Cheers,

--
Sébastien Mazy