[Nouveau] How to set a different resolution?

Tomasz Chmielewski mangoo at wpkg.org
Tue Sep 30 14:41:54 PDT 2008

Stephane Marchesin schrieb:
> On Tue, Sep 30, 2008 at 11:19 PM, Tomasz Chmielewski <mangoo at wpkg.org> wrote:
>> I just gave nouveau a try and was surprised that it just works out of
>> the box on Mandriva. Great work!
>>
>> However, I'm not sure how to set up a different resolution properly.
>>
>> With the closed nvidia driver, I usually just click on krandrtray in KDE
>> and pick a different resolution.
>>
>> With nouveau driver, though, it works as well, but only partially.
>>
>> I can see the resolution is theoretically changed (fonts, windows are
>> bigger when I change from 1280x1024 to 1024x768), but technically, in my
>> LCD monitor info I can see the resolution is still 1280x1024. Why?
>>
>> Because of this issue, I can't use my beamer (dual-head), which only
>> supports resolutions up to 1024x768.
>>

> Type "xrandr" to list the available resolutions. Then xrandr -s [the
> number of my favourite resolution in the list].

"xrandr -s 1024x768" sets the resolution to 1024x768, but LCD display
still shows 1280x1024 when I press its "Show info" button. Beamer
doesn't work in that resolution.

Also, I can see black stripes (1 cm or so on a 19 inch LCD) below and
above the image, where I can't move the mouse.

> For further information look there:
> http://intellinuxgraphics.org/dualhead.html
> (or any xrandr 1.2 tutorial for that matter).

I think the problem lies somewhere else.

--
Tomasz Chmielewski
http://wpkg.org