[Nouveau] Synchronization mostly missing?

Luca Barbieri luca at luca-barbieri.com
Sun Dec 27 19:41:03 PST 2009

It seems that Noveau is assuming that once the FIFO pointer is past a
command, that command has finished executing, and all the buffers it
used are no longer needed.

However, this seems to be false at least on G71.
In particular, the card may not have even finished reading the input
vertex buffers when the pushbuffer "fence" triggers.
While Mesa does not reuse the buffer object itself, the current
allocator tends to return memory that has just been freed, resulting
in the buffer actually been reused.
Thus Mesa will overwrite the vertices before the GPU has used them.

This results in all kinds of artifacts, such as vertices going to
infinity, and random polygons appearing.
This can be seen in progs/demos/engine, progs/demos/dinoshade,
Blender, Extreme Tux Racer and probably any non-trivial OpenGL
software.

The problem can be significantly reduced by just adding a waiting loop
at the end of draw_arrays and draw_elements, or by synchronizing
drawing by adding and calling the following function instead of
pipe->flush in nv40_vbo.c:
I think the remaining artifacts may be due to missing 2D engine
synchronization, but I'm not sure how that works.
Note that this causes the CPU to wait for rendering, which is not the
correct solution

static void nv40_sync(struct nv40_context *nv40)
{
	nouveau_notifier_reset(nv40->screen->sync, 0);

//	BEGIN_RING(curie, 0x1d6c, 1);
//	OUT_RING(0x5c0);

//	static int value = 0x23;
//	BEGIN_RING(curie, 0x1d70, 1);
//	OUT_RING(value++);

	BEGIN_RING(curie, NV40TCL_NOTIFY, 1);
	OUT_RING(0);

	BEGIN_RING(curie, NV40TCL_NOP, 1);
	OUT_RING(0);

	FIRE_RING(NULL);

	nouveau_notifier_wait_status(nv40->screen->sync, 0, 0, 0);
}

It seems that NV40TCL_NOTIFY (which must be followed by a nop for some
reason) triggers a notification of rendering completion.
Furthermore, the card will probably put the value set with 0x1d70
somewhere, where 0x1d6c has an unknown use
The 1d70/1d6c is frequently used by the nVidia driver, with 0x1d70
being a sequence number, while 0x1d6c is always set to 0x5c0, while
NV40TCL_NOTIFY seems to be inserted on demand.
On my machine, setting 0x1d6c/0x1d70 like the nVidia driver does
causes a GPU lockup. That is probably because the location where the
GPU is supposed to put the value has not been setup correctly.

So it seems that the current model is wrong, and the current fence
should only be used to determine whether the pushbuffer itself can be
reused.
It seems that, after figuring out where the GPU writes the value and
how to use the mechanism properly, this should be used by the kernel
driver as the bo->sync_obj implementation.
This will delay destruction of the buffers, and thus prevent
reallocation of them, and artifacts, without synchronizing rendering.

I'm not sure why this hasn't been noticed before though.
Is everyone getting randomly misrendered OpenGL or is my machine
somehow more prone to reusing buffers?

What do you think? Is the analysis correct?