[Nouveau] When will nouveau kernel tree be merged into master

Eric Valette eric.valette at free.fr
Thu Jul 9 10:20:54 PDT 2009

Pekka Paalanen wrote:
> On Thu, 09 Jul 2009 14:00:29 +0200
> Eric Valette <Eric.Valette at Free.fr> wrote:
>
>> I've been using nouveau driveau for 8 months or so, using automated
>> build from drm git, xf86-video-nouveau git and even sometimes mesa drm
>> git  and discovered the linux-core build did not build the nouveau
>> driver the hard way: X was refusing to start as the nouveau.ko modules
>> was not loaded nor build. Build process did chnage without obvious way
>> to know womething was wrong.
>
> Nouveau was removed from make targets, therefore you get this:
>
> $ make nouveau.o
> make: *** No rule to make target `nouveau.o'.  Stop.

Except this is not the way you build linux-core by default...

If you follow the Makefile and make DRM_MODULES=nouveau compilation
fails without telling you this is no more the right way.

> Btw. Nouveau should fall back to NoAccel mode, if the kernel modules are
> not available.

Not in my case. KDM simply does not start.

>> So my question are:
>>     - Why not purely delete nouveau files from linux-core and issue
>> error messages?
>
> The code is still in the tree for historical reference, and for BSDs.
> I'm not sure if BSDs still need it.

Not a convincing agument!. I wasted a few hours trying to find how to
compile it.

> Yes, and we are trying to alleviate the pain by keeping the guides
> in the wiki up-to-date. Granted, there were the few days, when drm.git
> nouveau.ko build was broken, and the InstallDRM page was not written
> yet, nor InstallNouveau updated. IIRC that was less than a week.

Well I would suggest you to look at GALLIUM3D because using gi to clone
mesa master is not even working and even if you get a git snapshot it
does not build.

> The nouveau kernel tree was annouced on the wiki front page, and on
> the nouveau mailing list. What more should we have done?

I guess I would have done:
	- when configuring drm with the nouveau API, I would have issued a
warning that linux-core will no more build nouveau.ko
	- I would have purely removed the code now that it is no more used or
at least issed an error if DRM_MODULE was containing "nouveau"

-- eric