[Nouveau] DRM changes

Peter Hjalmarsson xake at rymdraket.net
Sat Mar 14 08:03:58 PDT 2009

lör 2009-03-14 klockan 11:18 +0000 skrev Renato Caldas:
> On Thu, Mar 12, 2009 at 7:21 PM, Peter Hjalmarsson <xake at rymdraket.net> wrote:
> > mån 2009-03-09 klockan 22:49 +0100 skrev Stephane Marchesin:
> >> Hi,
> >>
> >> So, does that plan sound sane? Do you have better plans?
> >>
> >> Stephane
> >
> > I must say that for me it does not give that big problems, since I
> > already are using my own hem-brewed kernel. But I think it will be
> > harder getting testers if they need to not just compile som modules for
> > their kernel, but also try to configure the beast on their own.
>
> Lets face it, users who can't configure their own kernel will probably
> turn out to be bad testers. And besides, configuring a kernel is not
> that hard, and users can just copy their distro's configuration and
> only tweak the drm related parts. No show stoppers here.
>
> Cheers,
>   Renato

I know many who are good enought to be good testers and are programmers
but could care less about having to update their kernel, patch it and/or
reconfigure it every time someone finds a security-related bug or broken
feature and WANT someone (i.e. the distribution) to do that work for
them. They just want to use their computer to what they want: code
programs, not spend time on their configuration if they do not have to.

Even if they can copy the configuration from their distribution, the
question is if they want to spend time on tracking the kernel, patch it
and so on if they had to.

I do not know if I have hadthe time to do that if it was not for having
a good working configuration and having gentoo tracking and patching it
for me.
And with the current development-speed of nouveau: do we want testers
that only update when they have that amount of time, it would take long
time to bisect those historys if/when something breaks.