[Nouveau] Put acpi/backlight code into kernel

schmirrwurst at googlemail.com schmirrwurst at googlemail.com
Sun Sep 13 11:09:37 PDT 2009

Le dimanche 13 septembre 2009 19:51:59, vous avez écrit :
> nouveau is perfectly stable for 2D use. You'd really need to ask nvidia
> to provide support for their driver.

I'm trying to use nouveau since 2 month, and wasn't able to use it more than 1
minute without trouble... and I'm using linux since 10 years, so I'm not a
bloody newbie...
Nvidia has already been asked 10000 times, they won't support backlight,
because, every manufacturer is managing it differently, and there is anyway no
real linux support by nvidia, that maybe also one of the most reason for
nouveau, isn't it ?

I though it could be nice, to have backlight support until nouveau is really
stable, because at that point, it is not designed for lambda users at all...

Nividia, nor someone else seems to be concerned by the fact that a lot of
people, even with very recent hardware, are affected from this issue... and
what we need, is a quick fix, even if nvidia would think about it, it would
last some years until it works, I'm already waiting for backlight support for
two years, one or two years more, and my hardware will be obselete !
We really need a fix that is quickly implemented, and if nouveau has already
the code working, it must be not so complicated to add it to the kernel, or in
a way that the backlight support is also working without nouveau...