[Nouveau] Put acpi/backlight code into kernel

Matthew Garrett mjg59 at srcf.ucam.org
Sat Sep 19 12:54:00 PDT 2009

On Mon, Sep 14, 2009 at 11:00:59AM +0100, Renato Caldas wrote:

> This kind of code doesn't belong in the nouveau driver, as you
> probably already know.

Sure it does. It's common for nvidia-based machines to use the GPU's
built-in backlight control, and when that's the case the appropriate
place for the control code is in the driver that touches the rest of
those registers - nouveau, in this case.

> But there are things called "platform drivers" that support all those
> non-standard features you may find on laptops, like radio switches,
> leds, ... and backlight. There is one such driver for my Asus laptop,
> which is called "asus-laptop".

When there's a platform interface, a platform driver is indeed the
correct answer. But in some cases (nvidia-based Sonys, for instance)
there's no platform interface to use.

Matthew Garrett | mjg59 at srcf.ucam.org