[Nouveau] [Ubuntu] Add nouveau without rebooting?

Gilles Ganault gilles.ganault at free.fr
Sat Aug 14 04:32:44 PDT 2010

Hello

	I'm trying to get a liveCD running Xubuntu 9.10 ("2.6.31-20-generic
#57-Ubuntu SMP") to work with an nVidia-based host which can only boot
X in 800x600.

The OS doesn't contain nvidia or nouveau ("modprobe nvidia", "moprobe
nouveau" both fail.)

Since this is a non-persistent liveCD, I can't reboot after adding the
Nouveau driver, so I tried to relaunch X without rebooting:

 1. apt-get install python-software-properties
 2. add-apt-repository ppa:bjfs/ppa
 3. aptitude update
 4. aptitude install xserver-xorg-video-nouveau
 5. Xorg -configure
 6. cp /root/xorg.conf.new /etc/X11/xorg.conf
 7. startx: "FATAL: Module nouveau not found."

Is there a way to add Nouveau without rebooting?

Alternatively, could I just download source files on a regular PC
running Ubuntu, compile a new kernel/modules, replace those in the
ISO, and burn a new CD? I'm a semi-newbie, so I'd need precise
information on how to perform this task.

Thank you.