[Nouveau] ol'good notebook with GF Go 7600: suspend/resume problems

Michael Tokarev mjt at tls.msk.ru
Tue Aug 17 06:51:29 PDT 2010

Hello.

I'm trying to debug a suspend/resume problem on my old
(circa 2006) and so far good Acer Aspire 9300 notebook,
which has NV40-class graphics (G73 [GeForce Go 7600]),
and is based on AMD Turion processor and Nvidia chipset.

Obviously suspend/resume (both to disk and ram) are quite
important for such devices.

But the problem is that no suspend/resume variant works.

I tried with various kernels, and collected all info on
2.6.35.2 + nouveau/master git as of today (actually one
commit behind - right before merge of 2.6.36-rc1).  All
versions behave in a similar way, give or take, but the
result is always the same: after resuming from ram, the
machine never recovers, it stays with blank screen and
the fan is blowing very hot air from inside; it is either
completely dead/locked up, or may start answering pings
or even lets to ssh in after some time.

Attached is a full dmesg output of one such experiment,
from 2.6.35+git.  I logged in over network to capture
the dmesg.

This is, again, suspend-to-ram.  With suspend-to-disk,
things are even "funnier", as in, it never completes
the _suspend_ (freeze) stage.  But that's different
story...

Is there anything I can do to enable this device to
peform suspend/resume to/from ram cycle correctly?

Thank you!

/mjt