[Nouveau] "Decode videos"

Roger rogerx.oss at gmail.com
Mon Dec 6 21:11:16 PST 2010

On Mon, Dec 06, 2010 at 08:07:07PM -0500, Jimmy Rentz wrote:
>Initially I would say XVMC.  VDPAU expects full hw bitstream
>decode.  XVMC only does decode starting at idct/mb.  I am guessing it
>is possible to support VDPAU by doing the earlier stages in software
>then handling the reset to hw.  Well, unless someone figures out some
>way to handle the full pipeline in hw via shaders which is something
>I have no time or knowledge.
>
>The latest version of the video decode/vpe/nv40 patches are here:
>http://people.freedesktop.org/~jb17bsome/vpe/ddx/ddx_nouveau_vpe_v1.patch
>http://people.freedesktop.org/~jb17bsome/vpe/drm/drm_nouveau_vpe_v5.patch
>http://people.freedesktop.org/~jb17bsome/vpe/kernel/kernel_nouveau_vpe_v6.patch
>http://people.freedesktop.org/~jb17bsome/vpe/mesa/mesa_pipe_video_nouveau_vpe_v3.patch
>For mesa you need to pull the pipe-video branch.  All the others apply
>fine against the latest branches for the ddx, drm, nouveau kernel.
>
>The current patches integrate vpe better with gem/ttm.  This means
>that relocs/fences are emitted and it doesn't just pin all memory like
>before. Though, it does runs much slower compared to my last non-gem
>version located under the old directories in (ddx/drm/kernel/mesa).  I
>am fairly certain from oprofile dumps that it is because of too many
>relocs emitted or something, but I haven't followed up.
>
>Anyway hopes this helps.
>
>Jimmy

Just a quick ping on this topic.

I have 2 video cards with XvMC capabilities on 450P3 and 2x750P3 CPU's, of
which, XvMC is required for playback of high resolution video... unless
I use the rough MPlayer slow CPU scaling hacks.

I hopefully plan to experiment with the XvMC patches in the near future.

--
Roger
http://rogerx.freeshell.org/