[Nouveau] Changing nouveau brightness and contrast settings

Dule karabaja4 at gmail.com
Wed Dec 29 03:26:34 PST 2010

Hello,

I have the following issue: my LCD monitor is broken and it's brightness and
contrast settings are way off. Integrated hardware controls don't work. This
issue forced me to change contrast and brightness settings using software,
which I can do with nvidia proprietary drivers from nvidia-xsettings tool.

However, I cannot seem to do the same with nouveau. There is no X or nouveau
tool to do such action, except xgamma which can change only gamma, and not
brightness or contrast.

I realize nouveau drivers are in it's early stages of development, so lack
of such tool is understandable. So, I looked at nouveau code to try and find
hard-coded brightness and contrast settings which I can change and just
recompile the drivers, but I have been unsuccessful. Only thing that I found
is this function:

nouveau_xv.c:

void
NVSetPortDefaults (ScrnInfoPtr pScrn, NVPortPrivPtr pPriv)
{
NVPtr pNv = NVPTR(pScrn);

pPriv->brightness = 0;
pPriv->contrast = 4096;
        //etc...
}

but I suspect these settings are related to rendering video and not X
rendering?

Anyway, I would appreciate your help for pointing me to the right part of
the code, or any other way I can circumvent this problem.

Many thanks,

Dule