[Nouveau] [RFC] Merge of a reincarnation of the nouveau classic mesa driver.

Xavier Chantry chantry.xavier at gmail.com
Tue Feb 2 14:53:39 PST 2010

On Tue, Feb 2, 2010 at 12:01 PM, Francisco Jerez <currojerez at riseup.net> wrote:
> For a long time the gallium pipe drivers for nvidia fixed function cards
> (nv0x, nv1x and, to some extent, nv2x) have remained unmaintained and
> godforsaken -- especially nv0x and nv1x had seen almost no progress
> since their creation.
>
> They've recently grown a classic mesa driver which implements many new
> features: texturing, hardware-accelerated tnl. However the killer
> feature is "it actually draws stuff" (and if you're lucky even some
> simple games at reasonable FPS) so I don't like to consider this a step
> back.
>
> Right now it is located in a git repo here [1], "mesa-next" is the
> branch I'm proposing to merge. I'll reply myself with the patches
> affecting core mesa it depends on, to give them more visibility. Of
> course driver-related comments are welcome too.
>
> [1] http://cgit.freedesktop.org/~currojerez/mesa/

I did some testing of a few opengl games, just for fun and by curiosity.
Card is nv25 (64mb vram).

- works perfectly
openarena tremulous xmoto frozen-bubble hedgewars neverball supertux2

- works with some problems
* teeworlds : perfect after a hack to workaround this issue :
       nv04_surface.c:246: nv04_surface_copy_swizzle: Assertion
`!(dst->offset & 63)' failed.

* foobillard : works but this error shows up :
	Mesa: User error: GL_STACK_OVERFLOW in glPushMatrix(mode=GL_TEXTURE, unit=0)

* etracer : first few seconds are very very slow, then its still very
slow compared to all the other games. Also some texture problems after
a recent change.

* bzflag : full screen mode broken but window mode ok. Fonts look
weird (apparently some random corruptions)

- fails
glest : needs mesa 1.3

I think it's pretty good overall :)