[Nouveau] Porting nouveau/ttm/drm to FreeBSD/OpenSolaris

"C. Bergström" cbergstrom at pathscale.com
Sat Jan 23 02:25:16 PST 2010

Hi all,

One of our (PathScale) engineers is planning to port nouveau and all
dependencies to OpenSolaris.  We have two routes we can take and would
like some feedback from the community.

1) There's an existing drm without ttm that was done by the FreeBSD
developers.  Would anyone from the fbsd team like to go over some of the
trouble they've had in porting ttm?

2) The engineer doing the work is much more familiar with Intel GEM and
has said the following (which I don't honestly know if it's true or not)
    a. Intel GEM surely will continue to be supported
    b. It's already available on OpenSolaris
    c. More portable than ttm
    d. GEM doesn't have support for nvidia cards and is missing some
important features.  (For OpenSolaris he says those can be added and is
less effort than porting ttm)
    e. Is probably better performance compared to ttm

As some of you may know our interest is currently only in executing
cuda-like kernels.  If it doesn't add a substantial amount of effort we
would like our efforts to also benefit others.  (Specifically fbsd and
the graphics contexts)

nouveau itself should be relatively easy to port, but what information
do others have with regards to the surrounding dependencies.

Thanks!

./Christopher