[Nouveau] Lots of bugs in xubuntu lucid

Alexandr Revin lyssdod at gmail.com
Tue Jun 15 13:38:08 PDT 2010

Hello guys,
i've decided to test nouveau driver and installed it recently from
official repos. My videocard is GeForce 4 with additional S-video and
Composite outputs, 64 MB of memory. I installed xubuntu, and tried to
use nouveau driver instead of official nvidia's. After switching driver,
the boot splash xubuntu logo turned into poor coloured low-resolutioned
one, but X loaded normally. Xfce worked fine, but i decided to try LXDE
with SLiM login manager.

So, here's bugs:

1) X server is loading normally, but when i try to switch to virtual
terminal (Ctrl-Fx) my monitor shows me "Out of range" message, keyboard
and mouse are switching off too and it makes me to reboot pc to get
back.

2) When i trying to boot into kernel single mode, my root console does
not show the characters i typing, but generally it works, with the need
of double-entered confirmation.

3) Corrupted colors! Especially black - i see a set of random sized huge
gray pixels instead of solid black area. Other colors are suffering too,
see http://imagebin.ca/view/ay3nrec.html.

$uname -a
Linux lynn 2.6.32-22-generic #36-Ubuntu SMP Thu Jun 3 22:02:19 UTC 2010
i686 GNU/Linux

$glxinfo
$ glxinfo
name of display: :0.0
Xlib:  extension "GLX" missing on display ":0.0".
Xlib:  extension "GLX" missing on display ":0.0".
Xlib:  extension "GLX" missing on display ":0.0".
Xlib:  extension "GLX" missing on display ":0.0".
Xlib:  extension "GLX" missing on display ":0.0".
Error: couldn't find RGB GLX visual or fbconfig

Xlib:  extension "GLX" missing on display ":0.0".
Xlib:  extension "GLX" missing on display ":0.0".
Xlib:  extension "GLX" missing on display ":0.0".
Xlib:  extension "GLX" missing on display ":0.0".
Xlib:  extension "GLX" missing on display ":0.0".
2 GLXFBConfigs:
   visual  x  bf lv rg d st colorbuffer ax dp st accumbuffer  ms  cav
 id dep cl sp sz l  ci b ro  r  g  b  a bf th cl  r  g  b  a ns b eat
Segmentation fault