[Nouveau] Gallium driver and compatibility issues

Younes Manton younes.m at gmail.com
Thu Mar 11 11:57:18 PST 2010

On Thu, Mar 11, 2010 at 2:40 PM, Uwe Bugla <uwe.bugla at gmx.de> wrote:
> Am Donnerstag, den 11.03.2010, 13:23 -0500 schrieb Younes Manton:
>> On Thu, Mar 11, 2010 at 12:42 PM, Uwe Bugla <uwe.bugla at gmx.de> wrote:
>> > Hi,
>> >
>> > I use two nv34 cards and I would like to test / try out / use the
>> > Gallium driver without drawbacks.
>> >
>> > Unfortunately this has not been working since I decided to install /
>> > compile nouveau drivers.
>> >
>> > My system is Debian Squeeze, my kernel is 2.6.34-rc1.
>> >
>> > The problem is:
>> >
>> > Every time I load nouveau_dri.so into RAM existing applications are
>> > broken / unusable (Example: gnome-games).
>> >
>> > It does not matter if I overwrite existing versions of libglut*,
>> > libGLw*, libGLU*, libGL*, libEGL* or not - that does not make any
>> > difference.
>> > The center of the problem is nouveau_dri.so and nothing else.
>> >
>> > Could it please be possible to modify this driver file so that it does
>> > NOT continue to break existing applications??
>> >
>> > Would be a pleasure!
>> >
>> > Cheers
>> >
>> > Uwe
>>
>> Don't install nouveau_dri.so globally. When you want to try it with a
>> specific application set LIBGL_DRIVERS_PATH=/path/to/nouveau_dri.so in
>> your env.
>
> Thanks. Sounds plausible.
>
> But:
> 1. Udev decides which driver is being loaded into memory at boot time.
> 2. I was asking for a _long term_ solution, not for a quick short term
> workaround without changing the driver itself.
>
> Cheers

I don't understand. What does udev have to do with nouveau_dri.so? If
you don't install nouveau_dri.so globally it won't be used for either
direct or indirect rendering by default. When you want to try it make
sure libGL can find it by pointing the driver path to it and it should
be used in that instance and that instance only.