[Nouveau] GeForce FX5200 dual DVI & Samsung 204b

Francisco Jerez currojerez at riseup.net
Sat Oct 2 06:31:45 PDT 2010

Grzesiek Sójka <pld at pfu.pl> writes:

> On 10/01/10 01:29, Francisco Jerez wrote:
>> Grzesiek Sójka<pld at pfu.pl>  writes:

>>> Yes! Now I have:
>>> xrandr --output DVI-I-1 --set "scaling mode" "None"
>>> xrandr --output DVI-I-2 --set "scaling mode" "None"
>>> in xinitrc. Both displays work fine when Xserver is running. But after I
>>> blink again. Is it possible to fix the console??
>>>
>> Do you need to tell the binary driver to do anything special to get it
>> working on those monitors? (e.g. manually specified timings or EDID)
> No, binary driver works fine without any extra settings. The version I
> used was 173.14.22. With nouveau drivers I'm forced to use the
> following
>
> Modeline "1600x1200_def" 144  1600 1628 1788 1920  1200 1201 1204 1250
>
> Without it the displays (both) are blinking. Remember that binary
> nvidia claims that the MaxPixClk is 135MHz and nouveau says that it is
> 175MHz. According to the spec it should be 162MHz. I'm not sure but I
> think that this high rate works only with D-SUB. Actually I have 3
> monitors and the third one is connected with the ancient Matrox
> Millennium II card using the D-SUB cable and it uses the modeline with
> the 162MHz PixClk.

Ah, I think you're hitting the bandwidth limitation of the nv34
integrated TMDS transmitter. The attached patch should help with the
console modesetting problem, but you'll still need to set the modelines
manually (and force panel rescaling) if you want to go up to 1600x1200,
because your GPU *cannot* handle the video mode your monitor is asking
for.