[Nouveau] updating the source tree

Pekka Paalanen pq at iki.fi
Thu Oct 7 11:55:05 PDT 2010

On Thu, 07 Oct 2010 20:07:37 +0200
Grzesiek Sójka <pld at pfu.pl> wrote:

> On 10/07/10 19:51, Pekka Paalanen wrote:
> > On Thu, 07 Oct 2010 19:34:35 +0200
> > Grzesiek Sójka<pld at pfu.pl>  wrote:
> >
> >> I downloaded the nouveau/linux-2.6 using the following:
> >> git clone --depth 1
> >> git://anongit.freedesktop.org/nouveau/linux-2.6 Is there an

If you really did that
and then went into linux-2.6/ dir and said:

> # git remote update
> fatal: Not a git repository (or any parent up to mount
> parent /home) Stopping at filesystem boundary
> (GIT_DISCOVERY_ACROSS_FILESYSTEM not set).

I don't understand. Somehow you have deleted the .git/ directory
from that checkout. Or you have GIT_DIR environment variable set.

> This probably means that to be able to update I need to download
> the nouveau/linux-2.6 using the
>
> git remote add nouveau
> git://anongit.freedesktop.org/nouveau/linux-2.6 git checkout -b
> nouveau-master nouveau/master

That works only if you already have a git repo. The previous error
says you don't have. Furthermore, the exact commands you quoted
do not actually download anything. You still need 'git remote update'
before checkout to download.

> instead of
>
> git clone
> git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux-2.6.git

This will clone Linus' git repo, after which you would use the
'git remote add' incatation to add nouveau repo.

--
Pekka Paalanen
http://www.iki.fi/pq/