[Nouveau] one desktop on four monitors ?

Younes Manton younes.m at gmail.com
Sun Oct 24 18:39:00 PDT 2010

On Sun, Oct 24, 2010 at 12:26 AM, DJ Delorie <dj at delorie.com> wrote:

> I've been trying for a while to get my setup to work with nouveau.
> I'm currently using the nvidia blob with Fedora 12 with success, but
> certain types of X operations kill performance.
>
> I have two Nvidia 9800 GT video cards, each driving two monitors.
>
> Card 0
>     Monitor 0 = Dell 3008FP 2560x1600, in the middle of the cluster
>     Monitor 1 = Dell 2001FP 1600x1200, above the middle
> Card 1
>     Monitor 0 = Dell 2001FP 1600x1200, left of middle, rotated right
>     Monitor 1 = Dell 2001FP 1600x1200, right of middle, rotated right
>
> So far, with Fedora 14 beta, I can do one of two things:
>
> 1. Each card is a separate randr display pair (i.e. two virtual
>   monitors, two desktops)
>
> 2. Monitor 0 of each card is a xinerama pair, and each Monitor 1 is a
>   clone of its Monitor 0.
>
> While I'd prefer to use xrandr for these monitors, I've read that it's
> just not supported yet (sigh).  At this point, I'd be happy if
> xinerama worked!  Even if it only gave comparable performance to the
> binary blob, it would make updating Fedora much easier.
>
> Has *anyone* gotten a single desktop on >1 cards and >2 monitors yet?
>
> DJ

Most of whats needed to get this working in a RandR based driver is
just not implemented in the server yet. All of the RandR drivers are
basically in the same boat, not just Nouveau. Nvidia's RandR support
is basically a wrapper around their NVCONTROL extension if I recall
correctly, so they can still support it.