[Nouveau] one desktop on four monitors ?

Gerd v. Egidy lists at egidy.de
Wed Oct 27 05:34:36 PDT 2010

Hi,

> I wanted to get 3 screen working like one single screen. No chance with
> nouveau.

I have 3 Screens working with one desktop here:

           HDMI ----------------------- Monitor1

8400 card -|
           |                      DVI-- Monitor2
           DVI ---- TripleHead2Go-|
                                  DVI-- Monitor3

You just need a Matrox TripleHead2Go. To use 4 screens you'd need two of them.

Nouveau works, but currently the xinerama-info can not be tweaked. That means
my KDE doesn't know about the 3 screens and pops up windows in between. I've
read that it can be tweaked with a custom libxinerama but I haven't looked
into it yet.

So I'm currently still running the Nvidia blob.

Just as note: I'm not using xinerama, but 1 big screen on one card.
Nonetheless xinerama information is used to tell the desktop about the screens
in use.

Kind regards,

Gerd

--
Address (better: trap) for people I really don't want to get mail from:
jonas at cactusamerica.com