[Nouveau] Problems with dual head on NVidia Quadro NVS 295

Stefan Mathe mstefan at cs.toronto.edu
Mon Sep 20 08:21:26 PDT 2010

Hello,

I'm having problems configuring the dual-head display using an NVidia
Quadro NVS 295 display card. It uses two identical LCD monitors (model
HP LP2475w), connected using DP cables. If I connect one single monitor
(either to the DP-1 or to the DP-2 output), the desktop shows up
correctly. If I connect both monitors, only the left monitor shows the
image, and the desktop is extended as if the second monitor were showing
something. But the right monitor remains blank.

I am using OpenSUSE 11.3, with the nouveau drivers included in its
kernel (kernel version 2.6.34). The relevant parts of xorg.conf.d are:

Section "Device"
  Identifier "Default Device"
  Option "SWcursor" "true"
  Option "monitor-DP-1" "LeftMonitor"
  Option "monitor-DP-2" "RightMonitor"
EndSection

Section "Monitor"
  Identifier "LeftMonitor"
  Option "PreferredMode" "1920x1200"
EndSection

Section "Monitor"
  Identifier "RightMonitor"
  Option     "RightOf" "LeftMonitor"
  Option     "PreferredMode" "1920x1200"
EndSection

Section "Screen"
  Identifier "Default Screen"
  Device "Default Device"
  Monitor "LeftMonitor"
  DefaultDepth 24
  SubSection "Display"
     Depth 24
     Virtual 3840 1200
  EndSubSection
EndSection

Section "ServerLayout"
  Identifier "Layout0"
  Screen 0 "Default Screen" 0 0
EndSection

Note that I had to set the mouse cursor to software rendering because it
was not showing up at all when using hardware rendering (cursor was
entirely invisible but the mouse was operational).

The output of the "xrandr" command is:

Screen 0: minimum 320 x 200, current 3840 x 1200, maximum 8192 x 8192
DP-1 connected 1920x1200+0+0 (normal left inverted right x axis y axis)
546mm x 352mm
   1920x1200      60.0*+   59.9
   1920x1080      60.0
   1600x1200      60.0
   1680x1050      60.0
   1600x1000      60.0
   1280x1024      75.0
   1280x960       60.0
   1152x864       75.0
   1024x768       75.1     60.0
   832x624        74.6
   800x600        75.0     60.3
   640x480        75.0     60.0
   720x400        70.1
DP-2 connected 1920x1200+1920+0 (normal left inverted right x axis y
axis) 546mm x 352mm
   1920x1200      60.0*+   59.9
   1600x1200      60.0
   1680x1050      60.0
   1600x1000      60.0
   1280x1024      75.0
   1280x960       60.0
   1152x864       75.0
   1024x768       75.1     60.0
   832x624        74.6
   800x600        75.0     60.3
   640x480        75.0     60.0
   720x400        70.1

I have also attached my Xorg.0.log file.

Many thanks in advance for the help,
Stefan.