[Nouveau] Nouveau should create a script to download the bleeding-edge version

Emil Velikov emil.l.velikov at gmail.com
Wed Dec 14 14:23:12 PST 2011

On Wed, 14 Dec 2011 21:43:13 -0000, csolisr at gmail.com <csolisr at gmail.com>
wrote:

> I've tried to use Nouveau several times, with several operative systems
> (Ubuntu, Mint, Trisquel). Seemingly, the versions of Nouveau are too old,
> since my screen is detected as being smaller than it is. All in all, I
> tried to follow the instructions to build from scratch (in order to have
> the really latest version), and failed. Would somebody mind to create a
> script to download the sources, compile them and install them?
> - Carlos Solís

Hi Carlos

To the best of my knowledge, an old version of nouveau should not cause
your screen to be "detected as being smaller than it is"

Nevertheless such a script is quite a tricky thing to make due to the
specific "requirements" every person/ GNU Linux distribution has.

I have personally worked out a script to build and install the latest
nouveau and I've got fed up with it due to the various hacks that had to
be used - read "Debian(Ubuntu) is using nasty hacks when compiling their
libdrm, kernel"

Thus I would advise you

* If you wish to use Ubuntu/Mint try the latest packages from
xorg-edgers[1]
should be up to scratch

* Try another Linux distribution (such as Arch, Gentoo, etc.) where you can
easily rebuild everything from git

Regards
Emil

[1] https://launchpad.net/~xorg-edgers/+archive/ppa