[Nouveau] properly check for _DSM function support and Optimus support for vga_switcheroo

Omar Andrés Zapata Mesa andresete.chaos at gmail.com
Sun Dec 18 20:39:15 PST 2011

Tested on toshiba m645 optimus intel/nvidia 310m
output
bbswitch: Found discrete VGA device 0000:01:00.0: \_SB_.PCI0.P0P2.VGA_
[21832.787656] bbswitch: detected an Optimus _DSM function
[21832.787664] bbswitch: Succesfully loaded. Discrete card 0000:01:00.0 is
on
but dont work nvidia video card.  do it work with not mux optimus?

On Sat, Dec 17, 2011 at 5:50 PM, Lekensteyn <lekensteyn at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello guys,
>
> I've prepared a patch based on my findings for the bbswitch module
> (https://github.com/Lekensteyn/acpi-stuff/tree/master/bbswitch). This
> adds a proper
> check whether a _DSM function is supported or not and make OFF / ON for
> vga_switcheroo work for nVidia Optimus models. The patch is based against
> the
> mainline kernel.
>
> It has been tested on my Clevo B7130 laptop running kernel 3.2 which has a
> GT425M
> dGPU:
> # cat /sys/kernel/debug/vgaswitcheroo/switch
> 0:IGD:+:Pwr:0000:00:02.0
> 1:DIS: :Pwr:0000:01:00.0
> # tee /sys/kernel/debug/vgaswitcheroo/switch <<<OFF
> OFF
> # cat /sys/kernel/debug/vgaswitcheroo/switch
> 0:IGD:+:Pwr:0000:00:02.0
> 1:DIS: :Off:0000:01:00.0
> # tee /sys/kernel/debug/vgaswitcheroo/switch <<<ON
> ON
> # cat /sys/kernel/debug/vgaswitcheroo/switch
> 0:IGD:+:Pwr:0000:00:02.0
> 1:DIS: :Pwr:0000:01:00.0
>
> The iGPU/dGPU LEDS on the keyboard also change as a result.
>
> A second patch to make the device stay off after suspend is in progress.
>
> Regards,
> Peter

Omar Andres Zapata Mesa
Fundamental Interaction Phenomenology Gruop (Gfif)
Head Developer
http://gfif.udea.edu.co
Gfif Developers (Gfif Dev)
Division of computer science
http://gfifdev.udea.edu.co
System Engineering Student
Universidad de Antioquia At Medellin - Colombia
Usuario Linux  #490962