[Nouveau] properly check for _DSM function support and Optimus support for vga_switcheroo

Gianluca Cecchi gianluca.cecchi at gmail.com
Mon Dec 19 02:04:19 PST 2011

>> On Sat, Dec 17, 2011 at 5:50 PM, Lekensteyn <lekensteyn at gmail.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> Hello guys,
>>>
>>> I've prepared a patch based on my findings for the bbswitch module
>>> (https://github.com/Lekensteyn/acpi-stuff/tree/master/bbswitch). This
>>> adds a proper
>>> check whether a _DSM function is supported or not and make OFF / ON for
>>> vga_switcheroo work for nVidia Optimus models. The patch is based against
>>> the
>>> mainline kernel.
>>>
>>> It has been tested on my Clevo B7130 laptop running kernel 3.2 which has

Hello,
I have an Asus U36SD laptop with Optimus and Fedora 16 with kernel
3.1.5-6.fc16.x86_64
Any way I can test it?
Currently  I'm using acpi_call to switch off nvidia card and gain 4w
for more battery life.

[g.cecchi at ope46 ~]$ lspci -vnnn|grep -i vga
00:02.0 VGA compatible controller [0300]: Intel Corporation 2nd
Generation Core Processor Family Integrated Graphics Controller
[8086:0126] (rev 09) (prog-if 00 [VGA controller])
01:00.0 VGA compatible controller [0300]: nVidia Corporation Device
[10de:1050] (rev ff) (prog-if ff)

What benefit would it give me? Chance to use nvidia for graphic
related apps ? With nouveau andor nvidia proprietary driver?
Thanks in advance for any pointer

Gianluca