[Nouveau] TDMS bandwidth limits

Edgar Fuß ef at math.uni-bonn.de
Mon Feb 7 06:51:15 PST 2011

> A register dump [1] would be the easiest way to find out the exact timings,
OK, I'll ask a colleague to give this a try. The problem is to set up a machine that both runs the proprietary driver and a recent enough Debian to have libpciaccess available.

> but any standard 1600x1200 reduced-blanking mode should do it.
Yes, but having the exact same timings on the FB console and X11 results a smoother switch between the two modes.

> You could just use the same CVT reduced-blanking mode on both X and the
> framebuffer console.
Sorry for the apperantly dumb question, but how do tell X to use the CVT mode?

> Well, that works for me, can I have a look at your kernel logs?
Hm. I tried to reproduce the problem I faced on friday, but it disappeared. Now I get the "reduced blanking" message in the drm_fb_helper_connector_parse_command_line debug output. Strange.

Now I tried to give the modeline the drm debug output to xorg.conf, but it doesn't pick it up. I must be doing something stupidly wrong again:

[...]
Section "Monitor"
	Identifier	"Bildschirm"
	Option		"DPMS"
	ModeLine	"reduced"	130 1600 1648 1680 1760 1200 1203 1207 1235
EndSection

Section "Screen"
[...]
	Monitor		"Bildschirm"