[Nouveau] How to directly access GPU memory

Nikolaus Rath Nikolaus at rath.org
Wed Mar 9 10:54:55 PST 2011

I would like to directly access some GPU memory. Is there some standard
way to do this when using the nouveau driver, e.g. by mmap'ing a
specific range of /dev/something, or do I have to write my own kernel
module to set up the mapping of the PCIe BARs?

If there is a standard way, is that only standard for the nouveau driver
or will the same procedure work for other drivers too (in particular the
proprietary nvidia driver)?