[Nouveau] nvidia gt 545 and nouveau

Daniel Wallace daniel.wallace at gatech.edu
Wed Apr 4 17:25:12 PDT 2012

I have 2 monitors plugged into the same nvidia card
(running nouveau) one can be either DVI-I or VGA(vga right now) and the
other is hdmi, right now, I am just trying to get the monitors to not
be clones of each other and to be side by side. When i do xrandr
--output HDMI-1 --pos 0x0 --output VGA-1 --auto --right-of HDMI-1, the
whole screen freezes with the mouse in between the 2 monitors and I
can't do anything except kill the power and reboot, Anyone have any
ideas where to start, because I have looked for several hours now and I
can't find anything that would be causing this issue.

What happens when It freezes is the mouse literally gets stuck in
between the two screens (half on either screen) and since I am unable
to do any commands with the keyboard I can't take a screen shot.  I
would really like to be able to use nouveau and xrandr, because I don't
really want to use Xinerama with the proprietary drivers because then I
am unable to use compositing.

Any thoughts and questions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Daniel Wallace