[Nouveau] "enable ctxprog xfer only when we need it to save power" introduces big performance regression

Martin Peres martin.peres at free.fr
Tue Jan 17 13:17:38 PST 2012

Le 17/01/2012 21:55, Lucas Stach a écrit :
> Isn't it possible that the performance regression seen with xfer
> disabled by default is caused by slow memory clock speed? Martin, you
> saw only a 1% performance drop on your 8600 which is running with full
> speed by default. Marcins nv92 is likely running at a much lower clock
> speed. It would be nice to know if the perf regression is still as big
> when running with full speed. We could stop caring about this when the
> perf regression is not observable in the highest perf level.
Well, actually, the performance hit should be higher when running at a
highest memory clock since we context switch more often (there is no
logic here, just a personal experience).

Anyway, I tried again last week end at every possible speed and I
haven't been able to spot any performance hit *at all*.