[Nouveau] [Patches][nouveau/ddx]: Improvements to bufferswap implementation and timestamping

Mario Kleiner mario.kleiner at tuebingen.mpg.de
Thu Mar 1 10:34:11 PST 2012

On 02/29/2012 08:17 AM, Ben Skeggs wrote:
> On Thu, 2012-02-16 at 00:45 +0100, Mario Kleiner wrote:
>> Hi,
> Hey Mario,
>
> What's your plan with this patchset?  Do you intend on taking Michel's
> comments into account?
>
> CC'ing Francisco as he had some comments on IRC.  I'd like to get this
> all sorted and merged so I can rebase the ported-to-new-libdrm ddx on
> top of it all and get that ready.

Hi Ben,

just sent out two updated patches wrt. to Michels feedback.

[1/10] Replaces the original [1/9] patch. The code is the same, but the
commit message is changed to be less misleading about the cause of the
problem. See the e-mail i think i sent about a week ago.

[10/10] Just for demonstration what i tried, not for application. The
old [9/9] patch is still the best i can do at the moment. Following
Michels proposal, with 10/10 i added refcounting to nouveau_dri2_buffer
objects and keep a reference while the swap is still pending. This
prevents deletion of the buffer by the x-server and thereby prevents the
server crash.

Problem: Now we have a display that doesn't crash, but flickers horribly
while pageflipping with deferred swaps. I think it is because we still
only have two buffers for double-buffering but pretend we're doing
triple-buffering, but i could be totally wrong about the cause of the
problem. The original patch [9/9] throttles the client in the special
case where the pseudo-triplebuffering would result in flicker or crash,
so it fixes the problem although in a rather hackish way.

Not sure if this can be done cleanly without a real n-buffering
implementation in the x-server?

I think other than that there were no further comments and Francisco's
original feedback from last year is already implemented in the patchset.

More feedback etc. welcome, but i usually can only work on this part
time on weekends if it needs further improvements before merging.

Can the kms kernel patches be already merged? I think they are in a good
shape now.

Thanks,
-mario