[Nouveau] any way to recover card after cursor disappears or card locks up

Robert M. Riches Jr. rm.riches at jacob21819.net
Sun May 13 21:11:10 PDT 2012

With an Asus ENGT430 card, which the box says is a GeForce GT 430,
and with 64-bit Mageia 1 with kernel 2.6.38.8-server-10.mga, about
once a week, the mouse cursor disappears from at least one monitor
or the display locks up when exiting X.  (I use runlevel 3 and
startx.)  Usually, if the cursor disappears and I then exit X, the
display will lock up showing the X root window background.  Once
the display has locked up, Alt-Ctrl-F* does nothing, SysRq does not
display anything (so I can't tell what it's doing).  However, I'm
able to ssh into the system, and everything other than the display
is fine.  After a reboot, everything seems fine.  I don't think I
saw this problem until I did a sensors-detect and added a second
monitor.  (Main monitor is on DVI, and second monitor is on HDMI.)
If I gather correctly, he GeForce GT 430 is an NVC1, GF108.

Is there any known way to recover from an invisible mouse cursor
or locked-up display other than rebooting?  I understand there is
functionality in the kernel to manually switch between virtual
consoles.  Can that be used to force the card to complete the
transition from X to a text console?

Thanks.

Robert Riches