[Nouveau] Selecting supported chipsets in the driver?

Emil Velikov emil.l.velikov at gmail.com
Tue Jul 30 15:31:03 PDT 2013

On 30/07/13 21:39, Christ-Jan Wijtmans wrote:
> Hi, my apologies if this is the wrong place to post this.
> I had the desire to turn on or off support for certain chipsets.
> Because i felt like the nouveau drivers are (relatively) quite large and
> depends on some kernel code that would only be used for certain chipsets.
> I will take some time this week to see how this is coded and if its
> possible but i just wanted a head sup opinion on you guys before i start
> wasting my time.

I'm not entirely sure if you're talking about the kernel module, ddx
(xf86-video-nouveau) or mesa.

In either case, all three should be relatively easy to do, as normally
the generation specific code is divided. Not too sure if it's worth the
effort though

* kernel module - 1.7 MiB, ~400KiB gzip
* ddx - ~200KiB
* mesa - 6.3 MiB (nouveau/gallium only)

As you can see the sizes are not that big, and I'm not sure if the
maintainers would be up-to the idea

Not a maintainer myself so take the last statement if a healthy pinch of
salt :)

Cheers
Emil