[Nouveau] PROM vbios fetching issues

Christian Zander czander at nvidia.com
Tue Mar 25 09:17:20 PDT 2014

On Mon, Mar 24, 2014 at 11:59:46AM -0700, Martin Peres wrote:

> Hello,
>
> One of my GPU (GK107/NVE7) fails to properly fetch its vbios from PROM
> at boot time but, if I blacklist the module and load it myself later on,
> it always succeeds. To make things weirder, the same card works great on
> another computer.
>
> Here is the relevant code in Nouveau to fetch the vbios from PROM:
> http://code.woboq.org/linux/linux/drivers/gpu/drm/nouveau/core/subdev/bios/base.c.html#nouveau_bios_shadow_prom
>
> The only solution I found to this problem is to try up to 16 times in a
> row to fetch the vbios using PROM. If the 16 tries yield a bad signature
> or checksum, I just give up and let it try other techniques. Here is the
> patch[1].
>
> With this hack in place, the number of retries needed to be able to
> correctly fetch the vbios ranges from 0 to 13. I see no consistency in
> this. I tried reading the vbios 32 bits by 32 bits (instead of 8 by 8),
> disabling local IRQs and generating more activity on the PCIe port
> before fetching (and making sure the value read is always the same), all
> solutions yielded no improvement.
>
> It could be a brownout problem but this would be the only manifestation
> of this problem. Moreover, some cards are known to have problems with
> PROM[2] so mine is definitely not the only one.
>
> I'm at a loss here, should we wait on anything before reading from PROM?
> The mmiotrace I have doesn't seem to suggest we should :s I wonder if
> you have had this issue before and what the nvkm does here.

Hi Martin,

a functional regression in GK10x prevents your GK107 GPU
from properly decoding 8-bit and 16-bit accesses to
the PROM registers. While these unaligned accesses work on
most GPUs, it is best not to rely on them. You can ensure
reliable retrieval of the VBIOS via the PROM registers
by using 32-bit register accesses across all GPUs.

Thank you, Christian.

--
christian zander
ch?zander at nvidia.com