[Nouveau] 3D part of the Godot engine

Ilia Mirkin imirkin at alum.mit.edu
Mon Mar 9 07:48:09 PDT 2015

The forum requires login to post, so that won't happen, at least by
me. It seems a little harsh to say that

"""
While I can't say this with any certainty, I'm almost willing to bet
that the problem is with your drivers, given Nouveau's notorious
OpenGL-related issues. I would suggest giving the proprietary Nvidia
drivers a shot and see if that fixes it.
"""

and

"""
The Nouveau graphics driver is terrible for anything 3D (usually it
doesn't even work at all, so the fact it shows anything is a minor
miracle in itself). It's definitely the driver.
"""

Which, in turn, makes me less inclined to care about their software.
In reality, nouveau's OpenGL implementation tends to be about on par
with the radeon drivers in terms of compliance, often better (at least
based on piglit results). It's true that reclocking is often
unavailable, so it tends to run slowly compared to the card's
potential, but that has little to do with OpenGL driver quality.

Missing textures most often mean that the application is attempting to
use e.g. s3tc textures without checking for their support. Perhaps the
user is missing libtxc_dxtn (which allows mesa to support s3tc
textures). An apitrace of the issue + bug filed on
bugs.freedesktop.org would allow me to investigate the issue for real.

  -ilia