[Nouveau] NV50 compute support questions

Pierre Moreau pierre.morrow at free.fr
Fri Nov 20 03:55:13 PST 2015

Hello Hans,

IIRC, Samuel wrote the kernel directly in assembly by hand.

As for me, I manually wrote the SPIR-V binary for the kernel, hacked clover to use it as if it had been produced by the regular LLVM path, and then fed it into the WIP SPIR-V to NV50 IR translator. I can send the instructions on how to get it working later today.

(Some more comments below)

> On 20 Nov 2015, at 11:36, Hans de Goede <hdegoede at redhat.com> wrote:
>
> Hi Samual, et al,
>
> In http://cgit.freedesktop.org/mesa/mesa/commit/src/gallium/drivers/nouveau?id=ff72440b40211326eda118232fabd53965410afd
> you write: "This compute support has been tested by
> Pierre Moreau and myself with some compute kernels."
>
> Can you provide testing instructions (and the
> necessary files) so that I can try to reproduce
> your tests ?
>
> And once I've reproduced your tests, the next
> question is where / how did you get the compute
> kernels for testing. I guess you manually wrote them ?
>
> As you know I'm working on a llvm tgsi backend,
> it actually produces some output now, if you want
> to take a peek it lives here:
> http://cgit.freedesktop.org/~jwrdegoede/llvm
>
> Before working further on this I want to take
> a bottom up approach, so I want to first make
> sure we've working TGSI -> compute-kernel and
> compute-kernel -> hardware steps. So the next
> question is, do you know if we can go from
> (manually written) TGSI to a compute-kernel
> using say nouveau-compiler ?

IIRC, it should be possible… but I'll have a look at it this evening.

Regards,
Pierre