[Nouveau] NvClkMode and NvMemExec Options

Ilia Mirkin imirkin at alum.mit.edu
Fri Dec 16 17:52:58 UTC 2016

On Fri, Dec 16, 2016 at 12:10 PM, Joseph D. Wagner
<joe at josephdwagner.info> wrote:
> When using the nouveau driver, my screen freezes (and stays frozen) when it
> starts to more than a minimum amount of work.  To fix this, I've been using
> the nvidia driver with the Preferred Mode set to Prefer Maximum Performance.
>
> It looks like equivalent settings in nouveau are NvClkMode and NvMemExec.
> However, I didn't see any documentation specifying the valid options for
> these settings?
>
> What are the valid options for NvClkMode?

This takes the decimal (!) value of the pstate you want to clock to on
boot. The valid pstates are defined by your VBIOS, and are visible in
/sys/kernel/debug/dri/0/pstate (in hex).

> What are the valid options for NvMemExec?

1 and 0 (or true and false). It force-enables/disables the actual
execution of the memory clocking script. I'd recommend against
touching it.

This and more information is available at
https://nouveau.freedesktop.org/wiki/KernelModuleParameters/

Based on the little information you provided, I doubt your hangs have
much to do with the performance level. (Unless you meant to say "When
using the nvidia driver ... ".)

Cheers,

  -ilia