[Nouveau] Dealing with opencl kernel parameters in nouveau now that RES support is gone

Ilia Mirkin imirkin at alum.mit.edu
Mon Feb 22 15:24:37 UTC 2016

On Mon, Feb 22, 2016 at 9:50 AM, Hans de Goede <hdegoede at redhat.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>

> On 22-02-16 15:22, Ilia Mirkin wrote:
>>
>> On Mon, Feb 22, 2016 at 9:17 AM, Hans de Goede <hdegoede at redhat.com>
>> wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi,

>>> Moving this to the state-tracker will likely break clover for amd
>>> cards, also what is the right place to stick the input params my
>>

>> Not really. Could just have a PIPE_CAP. Could make it part of the
>> whole TGSI logic in the first place. This functionality isn't used for
>> the OpenGL compute shader, and it'd be nice to bring OpenCL in line
>> with the OpenGL stuff.
>>
>>> differ from one gpu to the other, also the opencl -> tgsi compiler
>>> will need to know how to "address" input params without it needing to
>>> know too much details of the targetted gpu. So of INPUT is not suitable,
>>> then I think we are going to need MEMORY[#], INPUT for this, which
>>> nouveau can then just treat as CONST.
>>

>> That doesn't make sense... MEMORY is for... memory. Perhaps there's
>> something I don't understand about kernel inputs that would make my
>> suggestion unworkable? The way I see it is that you stick them into a
>> user constbuf (i.e. pipe->set_constant_buffer({cb.user = pointer to
>> your thing})), and then launch the grid. Your TGSI would have been
>> composed such that it would expect the user params to show up in the
>> first constbuf.
>

> Keep in mind the flat address space issue opencl has, there is no
> such thing as the first constbuf, there is a const address space,
> which is shared by all the const buffers, and the kernel gets
> passed in offsets in the single address space to find different
> const buffers. I'm not saying that this cannot work with your suggestion,
> but it is something to keep in mind.
>
> I've not yet looked closely at const bufs, I've only been working with
> global buffers so far, here is how I understand those to work:
>
> -clover calls pipe->set_global_binding() before calling launch_grid()
> -clover has set up the uint32_t **handles pointer array to point to
>  one uint32_t in the buffer which it is going to pass as "input" to
>  launch_grid for each global buffer
> -In the tgsi code for the kernel I can get to the global buffer pointed
>  to by the first uint32_t in the input data by doing:
>  LOAD TEMP[#].x, RES[#], IMM[0] # IMM[0] == 0

But inputs are somehow special in OpenCL, right? In other words, you
know when you want to load an input vs when you want to load
not-an-input, right? And those inputs aren't in the flat, global
memory space, they're just a list of 32-bit values (or at least
expressible as such). If not, then ignore everything I've said and
I'll come up with another alternative.

But assuming I'm right, what I'm proposing is that instead of passing
the input in as a global buffer, to instead pass it in as a const
buffer. As such instead of sticking it into ->set_global_binding,
you'd stick it into ->set_constant_buffer, and then you'll be able to
refer to it as CONST[0], CONST[1], etc. (Which are, implicitly,
CONST[0][0], CONST[0][1], etc -- it doesn't print the second dim when
it's 0.) You don't even have to load these, you can use them as args
directly anywhere you like (except as indirect addresses).

The old code would actually take the supplied inputs, stick them into
a constbuf, and then lower RINPUT accesses to load from that constbuf.
I'm suggesting we cut out the middleman.

By the way, another term for "constant buffer" is "uniform buffer", on
the off chance it helps. Basically it's super-cached by the shader for
values that never change across shader invocations. [And there's
special stuff in the hw to allow running multiple sets of shader
invocations with different "constant" values... or so we think.]

  -ilia