[Nouveau] xrandr configuration questions

Ilia Mirkin imirkin at alum.mit.edu
Sat Feb 27 22:39:52 UTC 2016

On Sat, Feb 27, 2016 at 5:27 PM, don fisher <hdf3 at comcast.net> wrote:
> When I execute xrandr I receive, omitting the details of resolution options,
> Screen 0: minimum 320 x 200, current 1920 x 1080, maximum 8192 x 8192 LVDS-1
> unknown connection (normal left inverted right x axis y axis)
> DP-1 disconnected (normal left inverted right x axis y axis)
> HDMI-1 disconnected (normal left inverted right x axis y axis)
> HDMI-2 connected 1920x1080+0+0 (normal left inverted right x axis y axis)
> 698mm x 392mm
>
> I am running on a Alienware 18 laptop that as far as I know has an internal
> 1920 x 1080 screen and only has one HDMI output port. I would like to run a
> pair of external monitors, dual head. Any ideas on if it possible to access
> the HDMI-1 port, or what the DP-1 port is would be appreciated. Is there any
> way they have encoded two monitors in a single cable?
>
> As usual, Dell/Alienware support is of no value unless one is running
> windows:-(

Many times such phantom ports are available in the dock connector. Or
they could have just been left in the configuration but not actually
pinned out. DP = DisplayPort. In theory you can daisy-chain multiple
DP displays if they all support DP 1.2 [along with the GPU] using
something known as "MST", but unfortunately nouveau does not support
this at this time. HDMI has no equivalent concept.

  -ilia