[Ocs] OCS idea: Social product & service networks

Josef Spillner spillner at kde.org
Mon May 16 07:18:27 PDT 2011

Hello,

Yesterday, I was thinking on the train back from the OCS sprint about these
jokes we made about the possible real-world implications of OCS. The scope of
both social networks and software stores extends indeed to the real world in
some cases.

There are some social networks in which persons offer human services (e.g.
consulting services), technical services (e.g. travel booking) or products
(e.g. ananas) in a structured way.
As I'm looking into an OCS-compliant RESTful API to Noosfero, a framework for
such social networks, it appeared to me that we may handle this by
interpreting the "content" on a slightly more abstract level.

For example, cirandas.net is a vivid Brazilian Noosfero instance in which
entrepreneurs can found companies and trade their products, which apparently
can be modelled in OCS already except that there won't be a download link. The
network also lists real shops which sell the products, which cannot be
modelled at the moment.
However, what can be modelled are downloads of files which describe in some
domain-specific language the characteristics of the products and services.

Another example is my own crowdserving.com, which is not a production network
but rather a showcase for academic stuff related to the collaborative Internet
of Services.

It might be too weird and too much of a change for 2.0, but nevertheless an
interesting thought exercise if social product and service interactions (think
also marketplaces for used products like eBay) could be integrated into the
desktop and fused with sharing of digital goods.

Josef