[ohm] Slimming HAL...

Richard Hughes hughsient at gmail.com
Tue Apr 10 14:47:08 PDT 2007

On Tue, 2007-04-10 at 23:35 +0200, Nils Faerber wrote:
> Hi!
> It seems that HAL is an integral part of OHM.

Yup.

> For mobile/embedded devices size does matter.

Agree.

> Rob Taylor mentioned that he (and others?) managed to trim down HAL
> significantly.

Ohh, master is very much smaller than 0.5.8.1 - there are many other
features like the fdi cache which can be more improved for embedded.

> Anyone of those diet experts also subscribed here?

I think Rob and Myself, I think the hal list would have some more. ;-)

> I would very much like to understand how this slimming worked or what
> the "faults" of HAL were that made it so fat.

Well, now you can compile out a lot of hal, for instance getting rid of
acpi support saves quite a few k.

> If anyone has some insights I would really appreciate some insights (or
> pointers to such) would be great.

Check out hal master, and do ./configure --help

There's lots of stuff to deselect now.

R.