[ohm] Gathering OHM requirements

Nils Faerber nils.faerber at kernelconcepts.de
Tue Apr 17 03:59:00 PDT 2007

Hello!
Since the feedback to my quite lengthy mail was a little shallow I will
take the survey I mentioned on my own as kind of research project.

What I want to do is to get in touch with the various projects and
probably also companies and ask them how they currently handle hardware
management in the sense of OHM.

I would like to ask them especially which parts they needed to manage
(i.e. hardware "classes" like audio, backlight, etc.), what situations
they had to handle (like concurrent audio device usage), how they solved
it, why they solved it the way they did and finally how they would wish
those problems to be solved.

From the (hopefully plenty!) answers I will try to compile a
comprehensive list of requirements which should help with OHM development.

Projects and companies that come to my mind are, more or less in order
of appearance in history ;) (incomplete, please add!):

 - Linux kernel people, through LKML
 - Linux ARM kernel people
 - QTopia, Trolltech
 - OpenZaurus (including Zaurus kernel hacker and distri guys)
 - OPIE (if they still exist or are reachable)
 - GPE, GPE Phone Edition
 - Familiar, and related (like iPaq kernel hackers)
 - Maemo/Hildon, Nokia
 - OPIE-II
 - OpenMoko, FIC

The above list is heavily biased on my primary work area, i.e. embedded
and mobile.
For the server/desktop part I do not have that much experience, maybe:

 - Gnome
 - KDE
 - Debian
 - RedHat
 - SuSE

Probably the above distribution groups also have some thoughts on that.
Any more?

I will next draft up an introductory text and some questions I will also
post here first for discussion.

Any further feedback is of course welcome!

Cheers
  nils faerber

Sieghuetter Hauptweg 48    Fax: +49-271-771091-19
D-57072 Siegen             Mob: +49-176-21024535