[ohm] OHM meetup at fosdem'08

Marc-André Lureau marcandre.lureau at gmail.com
Thu Feb 21 15:35:43 PST 2008

Hi!

I am really looking forward to this meeting. We have all different
ideas and experience about policies daemons, and I can't wait to hear
some of you. As a maemo developper, I might have interesting ones ;)

I hope we agree we have something to share here, and we won't continue
to express competing policies all over the places, in dozen of
daemons, tunable via gconf or dbus or such.

Let me state some of the potential use cases and topics that I
personally would like to discuss during the meeting with you (Rob said
I should do that ;)

- audio io (& video io) policies:
auto-routing based on context/state and integration with ALSA
ctl/Bluez audio/PulseAudio/GStreamer, ..., auto volume control

- allocation/revocation of devices:
how to know which application is using a device and ask that
application to free a device nicely (ie without pasuspend tricks), and
without revoke ()... (which is last solution, IMHO)

- dsp/cpu/memory resources allocation:
choosing among several applications which one can run/suspend, with
given cpu time & memory constraints (non-transparent scheduling, based
on policy)

- intrusive application policy:
how to limit what an application can do based on what other
applications are doing, or want to do. It starts with players:
* A is playing, B want to play, A should stop
* A is fullscreen, C the screensaver would like to start (I guess we
have some sort of adhoc API to prevent  that, but that does not work
on my debian)

- how different policies can be coherent
(one rule say "yes" the other say "no"...)

- the need of system ontologies (more advanced than HAL: v4l, oss,
alsa are not good namespaces for generic rules..)

- integration with HAL/Dk/Pk/Ck, and any kind of services being
Bluez/DBus/Upnp/GConf/PA -put your on app here.

- a language for expressing rules?

That's a quick brain dump. If it's all nuts, then we can at least
share the beers.

See you in Brussels!
cheers

--