[Openchrome-devel] KMS branch

Mario J. Rugiero mrugiero at gmail.com
Thu Dec 10 02:35:09 PST 2015

El 10/12/15 a las 07:27, Benno Schulenberg escribió:

> Hello Mario,

Hello Benno

> Which changes are you referring to?  Do you have a pointer
> into the archives?  Or are you referring to kms_branch in git?

James Simmons' KMS branch in git. Not the xf86-video driver, but the
Linux kernel one. The one for xf86 is supposedly ready for (at least)
wider testing.

> You can just try.  Send a small set of style patches first, with a
> note that more things are coming, and see if they get accepted.

OK, I wanted to avoid that because of the chance of annoying the kernel
list with something that might be a public DON'T that I just didn't
found out there.

> If James posted the patches with his signed-off line, they are GPL'ed
> and there is no problem with copyright.  If you just make small changes
> in the ordering, you can keep his Signed-off-by line and add your own.
> If you make significant changes, you can put "Patch originally by James
> Simmons" and put only your own Signed-off-by line.

Yes, the patches are public and he tried to get them upstreamed in its
current form (so this implies at the very list he was OK with them being
GPL, although I believe he might have dual licensed them to BSD too,
since some of his commit messages mention compatibility with FreeBSD),
but it was a huge set of changes and they asked for him to reorganize
them. Apparently he didn't find the time to do so, so I'm willing to put
my own. It would be a shame that after such hard work it went nowhere.
I believe I'll signed them and add the originally-by line, since I'll be
preparing the patches partly by hand and partly from his old branch, not
directly from the patches he sent (which probably bit rot already).
> Regards,
>
> Benno

Regards,
Mario.