[Openchrome-users] Success: Gentoo with Xorg Modular

Cédric Berger cedric
Sat Dec 31 17:00:30 PST 2005

Ethan Arnold wrote:
> Hi Cedric,
>
> I've been working all week on exactly that... (mostly with mplayer but I've
> tried xine too). Can you please post a short step-by-step tutorial of what
> you installed in what order and what commands you use to run xine? I still
> have not seen one single frame of hardware accelerated video :-( no matter
> what I install.
Ouch, that's not so simple...
Anyway, I've attached my files, I don't know if that's still all needed
or not.
-   /etc/portage/package.keywords
-   /etc/portage/package.unmask

This is my /etc/make.conf:
 CFLAGS="-march=i686 -msse -mmmx -mfpmath=sse -Os -pipe
-fomit-frame-pointer"
 CHOST="i686-pc-linux-gnu"
 CXXFLAGS="${CFLAGS}"
 PORTDIR_OVERLAY="/usr/local/portage"
 USE="-fortran -motif -gnome -gtk -kde -qt -arts -xmms -xml2 -berkdb"
 USE="$USE unichrome doc usb mmx sse dri xv xvmc ffmpeg mjpeg dvd xvid
dvdread"
 VIDEO_CARDS="via"

Then I guess you need to emerge xine, 2.6.14 kernel, and the via driver.
Something like:

   emerge -uvatD --newuse xf86-video-via gentoo-sources xine

Then you need to configure 2.6.14 to include VIA DRM at least.
See my ".config" file attached.

The command I use to play DVDs is:

   /usr/bin/xine -fgV xxmc --no-logo --no-splash dvd://

I've included my Xorg.conf as well as an Xorg.0.log for you to compare.
Hope that helps,
Cedric