[Openfontlibrary] Re: Free Design Software Community Roadmap

sascha brossmann brsma.s at gmail.com
Tue Apr 18 05:42:51 PDT 2006

On 4/18/06, Alexandre Prokoudine <alexandre.prokoudine at gmail.com> wrote:
> Either my point wasn't explained well enough, or you
> misunderstood me. What I am talking about is people who learn
> basic things and stop there without moving further. It's not
> about having both experienced and not experienced people at the
> sa me time which cannot be avoided ever. It's about having
> experienced people at all.

i could imagine having a kind of experienced 'mentor' (not
necessarily the project leader/maintainer/whatever) on each
project, who is able to provide guidance, criticism and keep loose
ends together. and who is able to foster (design) decisions in
order to keep up with a 'big picture' of a project. i think the
latter is necessary even though it slightly contradicts the
classical FOSS grassroots approach. one has to keep in mind that
design cannot be modularised as easily as software, there is no
such thing as encapsulation etc. - which leads to some
difficulties in that field that are not present within software
development (or only at a much smaller scale). my point is, that
this role could possibly fulfilled with less time than a classical
project lead, which might make it possible to participate for
people with more experience (and, consequently, in most cases more
than full schedules).

best,

sascha
--
:: public key id 0x2EA549A0 ::.. :: . .  .  . ..    .    .   .