[Openfontlibrary] IRC Meeting (#freedesktop@Freenode) tomorrow Friday, 14Jul06, 20:00 GMT: Fonts; choosing fonts; fonts.conf; fontconfig

Simos Xenitellis simos.lists at googlemail.com
Mon Jul 17 17:40:52 PDT 2006

Στις 17-07-2006, ημέρα Δευ, και ώρα 22:21 +0200, ο/η Nicolas Spalinger
έγραψε:
> Jon Phillips wrote:
> > Simos, I completely missed this meeting as I was on an airplane (and not
> > lufthansa which would have allowed me to have been online).
> >
> > Is there a summary of what happened?
> >
> > thx
> >
> > Jon
>
> Hi Jon,
>
> Simos has posted the logs to the wiki page:
> http://wiki.freedesktop.org/wiki/Software_2fFonts_2fConfiguration
>
> Too bad you couldn't make it to the meeting, but the discussion
> continues and we plan to have more similar meetings to build upon the
> recent font momentum.
>
> Btw, the fonts page on the GNOME has a report about our BoF at the Libre
> Graphics Meeting in Lyon: http://live.gnome.org/fonts
>
> Hope you're enjoying the Desktopcon. Let us know of about good
> font-related bits happening there :-D

Thanks Nicolas for attending this.

In the first IRC session we noticed that there is a lot of interest to
discuss the issue of licensing of floss fonts. The "preliminary" outcome
was that we should urge to have fonts released under the OFL license, or
relicense those that are already available.
This is important to enable possible cross-pollination between floss
fonts; if one license is OFL and the other is GNU GPL, it does not work.
This is important for the OpenFontLibrary project as it interacts with
font designers that will be releasing fonts.
So, there is interest to have more regular IRC meetings so we discuss
the issue of licensing, understand the requirements and be able to
explain to others in a comprehensive way what the OFL provides.

I'll mail in a few days intructions for a new IRC channel for font
discussion and arrange for a second meeting.

Simos