[Openfontlibrary] Public Domain?

Dave Crossland dave at lab6.com
Thu Nov 2 18:30:29 PST 2006

On 02/11/06, Dave Crossland <dave at lab6.com> wrote:

> I think collecting new OFLicensed fonts is the best way forward.

I've just spent a few hours gardening the wiki, and while tending to
the http://openfontlibrary.org/wiki/index.php/Existing_Free_Fonts page
I rethought that strong statement :-)

If the OFLB itself is exclusively for OFL fonts (as I suggested),
perhaps the [http://directory.gnu.org GNU Project Free Software
Directory] is a good place to list *ALL* the Free Fonts that float
around on the web, no matter what the license (as long as its free
software). That is the goal of the FSD, for all Free Software,
afterall.

However, just linking to them may be a problem though as their current
homes on the web may disappear in the future. Websites tend to churn a
lot and this is *very* likely.

So perhaps a sister 'Free Font Library' can collect copies of all
kinds of Free Fonts and the OFLB can be exclusively for OFL fonts of
high quality. (I do like the idea of a 'ffl' ligature logo :-)

I'm aware that by suggesting this, I might be annoyingly suggesting a
fork, but am sincere about a *sister* project.