[Openfontlibrary] Public Domain?

Karl Berry karl at freefriends.org
Fri Nov 3 13:37:55 PST 2006

Regarding the Free Software Directory (http://directory.gnu.org), the
idea came about because rms asked Victor Gaultney to send in entries.
The goal of the FSD is to list all free computing resources, more or less.
It has around 5,000 entries now.  We would welcome entries from anyone,
most especially authors.

I agree with Ed that it is better to use the url's and information of
the original free fonts on lists of whatever sort.  Trying to collect
them in yet another layer seems to me like it would actually decrease
reliability (by not getting updated).  Of course the Directory
maintainers (of whom I am one, sort of) have various checks for dead
url's and the like.

Which is not to say that a collection of all free fonts would not be
useful for other reasons.  BTW, virtually all free TeX fonts have been
available through http://www.ctan.org for a dozen years or more.

karl