[Openfontlibrary] Font File Type and Admins?

George Williams gww at silcom.com
Sun Nov 12 06:01:08 PST 2006

On Tue, 2006-10-31 at 11:17, Gustavo Ferreira wrote:
> > UFO has no support for ligatures nor any other substitutions (no GSUB at
> > all).
>
> ufo stores opentype features in a dictionary which lives in the lib.plist.
>
> the standard key for the opentype entry is "org.robofab.opentype.features" - see
>  also http://robofab.org/objects/lib.html.
This page contains no useful information.

Giving me a standard key is no help since the data to be stored are
quite complex. I have no idea how those data should be formated and the
page you refer me to does not describe it.

Furthermore, kerning >is< an opentype feature, and it is already stored
outside of the lib object. Which suggests that not all features are
stored here.

I am prepared to believe that RoboFab stores these data, but without
better documentation I cannot duplicate their behavior.

> > UFO appears to support the ttf 'name' table -- but only for one language
> > (which to my mind renders this support useless).
> this can also be stored in a dictionary in the font.lib.
Of course it can. But if I go off and extend UFO to support something
that RoboFab does not support then that's useless, as they won't update
those data correctly. They need to define support for this in their
format. Then I will be able to implement it.

> ufo has limitations, for example lack of support for either ps or tt hints and
>  bitmaps. but then every
> glyph has a lib which can be used to store custom stuff...
In other words you are saying that I can extend UFO/GLIF to support the
minimal requirements of a font format. But if I do that those data will
not be recognized by RoboFab. This is not my format. I can't extend it,
I can't implement things which are not documented.

So I continue to believe that the UFO/GLIF format -- as described on
their website -- is not adequate for production work. That's why I
didn't bother to implement it when it was first brought to my attention.