[Openfontlibrary] Public Domain?

Rob Myers rob at robmyers.org
Mon Nov 13 00:32:15 PST 2006

Jon Phillips wrote:

> So how can there be a public domain or the equivalent in the EU and
> these other countries? There must be some idea of common content and/or
> cultural goods that these companies uphold, right? Or, is it just that
> they are considered free?

I don't think we have a positive conception of the public domain in the
UK. We just have work with copyright expired, or work that cannot be
copyrighted (due to its form or to being traditional). Government work
is "Crown Copyright", not public domain like in the US.

So in the UK you'd have to say that you are waiving your copyright (and
Moral Rights if you wish) rather than that you are placing the work in
the public domain.

Some interesting UK-related links here:

http://lists.okfn.org/pipermail/fc-uk-discuss/2005-September/000146.html

- Rob.